What is the Issue?
Animals and crops need clean water at the right time and in the right amount to survive. In our increasingly erratic climate, Ontario needs an agricultural system that promotes good water stewardship.
Why Does It Matter?
Farmers face a future of extreme flooding and drought, but they’ll still need to produce quality food. Research and innovation investments today will help farmers be more self-reliant in the future.
Farmers must use many techniques to control an increasingly erratic supply of water, including retention/storage, drainage, and irrigation. Our province’s water regulatory system needs an upgrade to facilitate use of these types of water control infrastructure.
What Does CFFO Want?
Research and innovation – CFFO recommends funding for projects on water quality, water control infrastructure, and water monitoring.
Improved regulatory environment – CFFO sees the need for an agricultural water regulatory environment that allows farmers to manage water on their farms through drainage, irrigation, and retention systems. For example, policy needs to recognize the difference between existing wetlands and agricultural retention ponds.
Letters & Submissions
- Submission regarding Regulatory and Policy Proposals (Phase 2) under the Conservation Authorities Act
- Regulatory Proposals (Phase 1) under the Conservation Authorities Act
- Drainage Act Regulatory Proposal
- Submission regarding Schedule 6, Amendments to Conservation Authorities Act, of Bill 229
- Submission regarding Proposed Amendments to the Director’s Technical Rules, Clean Water Act, 2006
- Submission Regarding OMAFRA's Drainage Act Discussion Paper
- Submission regarding Pre-Budget Consultation 2020
- Submission regarding Bill 132: Better for People, Smarter for Business Act
- Submission regarding Lake Erie Action & Management Plan
- Submission regarding Modernizing the Conservation Authority Act
- Response to Made-in-Ontario Environment Plan
- Letter to Minister Hardeman & Minister Phillips regarding Water Stewardship for Agriculture
- Submission regarding Watershed Planning in Ontario
- Submission regarding Water Protections and Growing the Greenbelt
- Submission regarding Changes to the Clean Water Act
News & Commentaries
- Hearing Member Voices on Conservation Authorities
- Good Water Stewardship a Must
- Bill 229: A Watershed Moment for Conservation Authorities
- Changes Coming to the Drainage Act
- Nutrient Stewardship 4R the Right Reasons
- How Can We Ever Clean up Lake Erie?
- Envisioning Win-Wins: Changes to the Conservation Authorities Act
- Ontario Water Innovation Week
- Phosphorus Innovation in Holland Marsh
- Political Will Necessary for Water Stewardship
- Producer CAP Funding – Focus on Soil and Water
For archived information on this and other Issues, please contact us.