What is the Issue?
The agriculture and agri-food sector is a cornerstone of the Ontario economy, but we need political will to help it thrive.
Why Does It Matter?
The needs of a healthy agri-food network are complex, requiring investment and a fulsome understanding of the needs of agriculture on the part of our government.
Economic, policy, energy and environmental policies—to name a few—can either help or hinder our province’s farmers and rural communities.
What Does CFFO Want?
Economic responsibility – Agriculture is a capital-intensive industry that relies both on credit and sophisticated management to maintain healthy and viable farm businesses. Risk Management programs need to meet these complexities.
Labour policy – Labour policy should balance the needs of both employees and businesses. Extreme changes, like 2018’s sudden minimum wage increase, jeopardize the livelihood of small and medium-sized business owners, as well as job security.
Energy policy – Energy costs, including carbon pricing, have been onerous on agriculture. We believe it’s possible to develop provincial energy policy that is both sensitive to our needs and reflects good stewardship of the land, atmosphere and waters.
Investments in rural infrastructure – Farmers rely on rural infrastructure for business success. Expanding and maintaining rural infrastructure will boost economic growth. Rural broadband expansion is also crucial: modern farming relies on internet-based tech, from GPS-enabled tractors to online marketing.
Letters & Submissions
- Open Letter on Municipal Farm Business Taxes
- Letter of Support for Ontario Processing Vegetable Growers
- Submission regarding Modernizing the Conservation Authority Act
- Submission regarding Provincial Pre-Budget Consultation 2019
- Submission regarding PMRA Review of Clothianidin and Thiamethoxam (Risk to Aquatic Invertebrates)
- Letter to Minister Hardeman regarding Agrifood Sector Success
- Submission regarding Imidacloprid Re-evaluation
- Submission regarding Agricultural Impact Assessments (AIAs)
- Submission regarding the Growth Plan and Density Targets for the Greater Golden Horseshoe
- Letter of Support for Organics Certification
- Submission regarding PMRA Review of Clothianidin and Thiamethoxam (Risk to Pollinators)
- Submission regarding Water Protections and Growing the Greenbelt
- Letter of Support for 4R Nutrient Stewardship Program
News & Commentaries
- Changes in the World Meat Market
- Gaining Consumer Confidence in the Agri-Food Industry
- Trade by Politics: Is This the “New Normal”?
- Speak Up! But Listen Closely
- Keeping our Eyes on the Prize
- Can the New Food Guide Dish up Good Agri-food Policy?
- The Need for Big Conversation
- Agriculture and the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement: The devil’s in the detail
- Cannabis on the Scene
- SynBio and Vanilla
- Trade or Protectionism
- Political Will Necessary for Agri-food Success
- What is the future of agricultural organizations?
- Using Marketing Systems to Remain Competitive
For archived information on this and other Issues, please contact us.